Thursday, January 7, 2010

Grace's Daddy

I was watching the show “Saving Grace” tonight. I actually should’t say I was watching it. It’s more like I looked at the TV for the last 30 seconds of the show. I haven’t watched this show before, but from what I understand this show is about a messed up cop who talks to some old dude she thinks is God. Maybe he is actually supposed to be God… I’m not sure.


I didn't watch the whole show, but what I did see made me think. This woman was obviously drunk. She looked like crap. She was wearing only a men’s collared shirt and was sitting next to a man who was only in his underwear. I can only assume she put his clothes on after sex. They started kissing and then violently taking off each other’s clothes. The next scene was her sleeping alone on the couch. No one else was there. The man had obviously gotten his and gone home. The “God man” walked into the scene and picked her up and carried her to bed, like a daddy would for his little girl.


Like I said before, I’m not entirely sure what this “God man’s” role is in this show, but it really did remind me of God and what He would do. God meets us where we are, even in our darkest, most shameful place, and carried us to bed so that we can rest and recover and then wake up the next day to start again.
Now, Grace had been drinking that night. She may wake up tomorrow to start a new day and still feel the hangover from drinking the night before. She may wake up with pain, both physical and emotional. She will wake up, though, and it will be a new day.


I think this is what God intends for us. I feel like waking up the next morning with our symbolic “hangover” in life is necessary. God takes our shame away. He forgives us of our past. He doesn’t tell us to forget it, though. We should remember where we came from so that we never go back again.


We are meant to carry our past with us. This doesn’t mean that God is still holding our past against us, He isn’t. There are some scars that are good scars, though. Scars are more than just a good story to tell. They remind us of what not to do, what roads not to take. We may not get all of the answers from these scars. They may not tell us where to go in life, but they will tell us where not to go.


How wonderful is it, though, that we have a Daddy who is willing to pick us up and carry us to bed every night? In one way or another, we all need Him to carry us to bed every night, so that we can rest and recover and start again tomorrow.
Just my thoughts tonight……….

No comments:

Post a Comment